DIY - bow headband!
i adapted my tutorial from a few others that i looked over on pinterest - the basic headband is based on this tutorial - however, i did make some changes since some things weren’t clear/didn’t work for me. and the bow is based on this.
- 3/4 inch - 1 inch wide elastic
- needle and thread or a sewing machine
- some pins
- an iron
first are the steps to make the plain headband. (explanation below)
- cut a 3 inch by 26 inch strip of fabric and fold it in half. then pin it in place to sew.
- sew straight down the fabric strip about 1/4 inch or so from the edge - i’m no perfectionist - just make sure you leave
- trim the excess from the sewn edge
- using something long and skinny turn the tube of fabric inside out (i used a crochet hook) then press it with your iron. *** this is where you attach the bow if you’re doing that *** (go to step 10 in the bow section)
- measure a 4-5 inch piece of elastic (i started out with 5 inches but trimmed it to 4) and push it about 8-9 inches down into one side of the tube.
- sew the end of the elastic in place
- scrunch the fabric down over the elastic until you can see the end peeking out. sew that end to the end of the fabric to secure it in place.
- fold in the other end so it looks nice and finished (even though it’s not)
- push that end over the exposed elastic and sew it in place! YOU DID IT!
now here are the bow instructions.
- cut a 5 x 7 inch piece of fabric
- fold in half lengthwise
- sew straight across the outside edge - then turn it inside out
- fold in the edges of the little tube you’ve created
- press with your iron so everything lays nice and flat
- fold lengthwise into a little fan, then sew right over the middle, just a few stitches to hold everything in place will be enough.
- cut a little scrap of fabric, fold it and sew across the edge (sorry i didn’t take pictures of this) then turn it inside out and press it flat. wrap this new little flat piece around the edge so you can sort of measure how wide you need it for the bow (mine was about 1.5 inches)
- cut the little flat piece to length and sew across the edge so it’s a little tiny loop
- squeeze the tube over the bow so it lands in the middle!
- now if you’re putting the bow on your headband slide the headband through the little tube and center it on the headband where you’d like it to be. sew a few stitches in the back to keep it in place. (photo below)
HOORAY! this little bow headband is so fun to wear! i can’t wait to make some less patriotic versions and wear them all the time! they go so well with a sock bun!
I really want to do this for our upcoming independence.